Re: automated storage test framework

On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 15:05 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> http://clumens.fedorapeople.org/anaconda-storage-test
>
> Over the past few weeks, I've been hard at work on creating an automated
> storage test framework for anaconda.  We came up with this concept
> sometime around FUDCon Toronto, but it's just finally come together.
>
> This framework provides a way to automatically run a kickstart
> partitioning snippet and validate that it does what you intended it to.
> I currently have it running against the latest anaconda package in
> rawhide, but there's no reason it couldn't instead be run against the
> git repo.  We'd just have to do scratch builds beforehand.
>
> Running against F13 and earlier is impossible since it requires my
> modular anaconda patches.
>
> I also don't see any reason why this couldn't be even more automated -
> instead of requiring you to kick off a run, we could easily script it to
> happen every time there's a new anaconda build provided we have the
> spare hardware to do so.  If we decide to do that, I'll have to make
> results reporting fancier as it's just logging to a local directory for
> now.
>
> My current strategy is to go through the partitioning section of the
> Fedora test matrix (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Current_Installation_Test)
> and convert all those into test cases.  Once we've got that done, we can
> start adding test cases to check very specific pieces - ignoredisk
> behavior, what happens when you have two existing disks with conflicting
> LVM metadata, conditions from a single bug, iSCSI, whatever.  It's
> really pretty flexible.
>
> Currently, this code doesn't live anywhere besides a directory on my
> computer.  It's not in a local anaconda git branch.  It's not in autoqa.
> Is there a good place for this stuff to live, or is it destined to be
> off on its own?

Committing this to AutoQA seems appropriate to me.  I can see this
living alongside other installation related tests in AutoQA.  Not sure
if you have commit privs, but we can certainly fix that.

What frequency do you anticipate having these tests run?  Every new
anaconda build?

> What does everyone think?  Are my test cases too picky?  Not picky
> enough?  Is there something obviously stupid that I'm doing?  I'd like
> to get some help plowing through the test matrix before I open this up
> to the world at large to play with.

This is amazing stuff!  Well done :)

Thanks,
James