Re: Driver Update Disk review comments (long)

On Sun, 2010-03-28 at 04:58 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> As part of reviewing Driver Update Disk support, I would like to share
> the following comments, as well as some analysis. As a reminder, all
> reference to branches or product names has been removed from this
> posting because the anaconda list is publicly indexed. I am happy to
> debate product focused issues on internal RH mail, but not publicly.

Now that RHEL6 beta1 has been released publicly, I can mention that this
obviously pertains to RHEL6. I wasn't going to say that on a public
list. And now, testing the beta1, we have some issues...the driver disk
code isn't currently detecting either USB or IDE CDROM devices during
the loader stage. I've begun poking but I'm pulling another late nighter
on some other RHEL stuff tonight (this loader stuff is now on my weekend
"fun with RHEL" list, though I'm trying to keep that list small...).

I would appreciate it if anyone with some spare cycles could look into
the load from media code, and note that it doesn't even detect any media
devices. There's an internal bug and I've mentioned more detail on IRC,
but you can reproduce this by simply doing a "dd" on the boot prompt and
using any random disk - it won't even see that you have the media, let
alone look for the magic file marker that identifies the dd.

Jon.