Re: branching for future fedora releases

On 03/03/2010 02:32 PM, Chris Lumens wrote:
>> Only doing builds from a -alpha/-beta/-rc branch only seems to make
>> sense once releng makes an release candidate for alpha/beta/final.  In
>> between those times, the builds should come from the 13 branch.  The
>> only exception to this I think would be the final stage, where there is
>> nothing after that compose.  At that point, changes to the 13-branch
>> should be limited as well, since there wouldn't be any later build to
>> pick up those changes.
>
> Okay, a refinement of my point but with references to the F-13 schedule
> to make this more concrete:
>
> 2010-02-09 - Feature Freeze/Branch F13 from rawhide
>              At this point, we create an f13-branch off master, and
>              an f13-alpha-branch off that one.  Bugs marked as
>              F13Alpha get committed here, builds for Fedora 13 come
>              from here.  Stuff that needs to go in for F13 but is
>              not alpha worthy goes onto f13-branch.  New development
>              and all other bug fixes continue on master.
>
> 2010-02-16 - Alpha Freeze
>              Create an f13-beta-branch.  The only things that get
>              committed to f13-alpha-branch are blockers found in testing
>              candidate trees.  F13Beta blockers get committed to
>              f13-beta-branch.  Builds for Fedora 13 come from
>              f13-alpha-branch.  Stuff that needs to go in for F13 but is
>              not beta worthy goes onto f13-branch.  New development and all
>              other bug fixes continue on master.
>
> 2010-03-02 - Alpha Release
>              f13-alpha-branch is dead.
>
> 2010-03-23 - Beta Freeze
>              Create an f13-rc-branch.  The only things that get committed
>              to f13-beta-branch are blockers found in testing candidate
>              trees.  There shouldn't be any bugs that are important but
>              can be put off from beta to RC.  However if there are,
>              those get committed to f13-rc-branch.  Builds for Fedora 13
>              come from f13-beta-branch.  New development and all other
>              bug fixes continue on master.
>
> 2010-04-06 - Beta Release
>              f13-beta-branch is dead.
>
> 2010-04-29 - Compose Release Candidate
>              Up to somewhere around this date, blockers continue getting
>              committed to f13-rc-branch, and builds for Fedora 13 come
>              from this branch.  Very little activity at all should be
>              happening here.
>
> 2010-05-11 - Fedora 13 Final Release
>              f13-rc-branch is dead.  f13-branch should reflect what was
>              released, and may continue on to be used by Fedora Unity
>              or similar purposes.

To be clear, when you say get committed you mean that devs commit
patches to f13-branch and the release admin/gatekeeper/Zuul cherry picks
them into the appropriate branch for the builds, correct?

- --
Brian C. Lane <bcl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat / Port Orchard, WA