branching for future fedora releases

For F14 and later, I'd like to try an experiment with our git branches.

Right now, we create a new release branch in git at some point during
the development cycle.  One advantage to this is that right around the
alpha, most of our work ends up being fixing alpha bugs so it saves a
lot of git branch management.  One disadvantage to this is that it also
makes controlling what goes into each build more difficult - for a
while, stabilizing for a Fedora release and doing new development
happens in the same remote tree.

Now it's not quite that bad.  For the most part, we all stop pushing new
stuff and only do it locally.  However, patches always manage to sneak
in that shouldn't.  So for the next release, I would like to try
something different.

At some yet-to-be-determined point leading up to F14, we create a
f14-branch in git.  I imagine this point is at the freeze for the alpha
or something similar.  At this point, all new development continues
along on the master branch.  f14-branch gets no new stuff.  Fixes marked
as F14Blocker get developed on master, talked about on the list, pushed
to master, and then cherry-picked to f14-branch.

F14 alpha, beta, RCs, and anything else they want to come up with then
all happen from this branch.  master continues along as if nothing ever
happened.  It's really that simple of a proposal.

Advantages:

* All bug fixing happens on master first, so we don't end up losing
  patches and causing regressions.
* There's tighter control over what makes it into a build for a Fedora
  release.
* Development of crazy new things does not have to stop, though I would
  expect it to slow down as people's time is more consumed with bug
  fixing.  At the least, we have a place to continue pushing new things
  instead of letting them pile up locally.

Disadvantages:

* We have to get a lot more particular about pulling fixes onto the
  release branches and making sure they all have associated bugs.
* There's a lot more git branch wrangling to deal with, and everyone
  will need to be much more aware of where they are and what they're
  doing.

Your thoughts?

- Chris