Re: [firstboot rhel5-branch] Fixed hiding of a dialog window when user clicked on the main window (#511984)

> > I assume you're waiting to make sure that system-config-network has
> > started.  Did you encounter problems in testing that required
> > waiting?
>
> yes, it seems it takes some miliseconds for the system-config-network to create the window,
> if i run xwininfo right after system-config-network, i get "no window" error,
> so we have to wait some time, just 1 second worked for me, but it may not work on slower systems.
> i hope 3 seconds must be enough, otherwise there's some problem, and we ignore the new code.

Okay, this makes sense then.  Three seconds does seem to be an awful
long time so I'd hate to increase that timeout.  If it hasn't started by
then, it does seem unlikely to ever start.

> > You can more simply say:
> >
> >    if not xid:
>
> i think you meant, "if xid:",

Right, that's what I meant.

> well, i don't know if it's possible, probably not,
> but what if xwininfo returns a window id = 000000 ?
> then this check will fail, and that's not what should happen.
> i check explicitly for None, because i set it to None in the beginning
> of the loop, so if there is something wrong in the xwininfo output,
> it will stay as None.

It's not really a big deal.  It's just part of my ongoing war on
wordiness.

According to ajax, an X window ID can never be 0.

> > I can't really speak to the window manipulations here, so I'll assume
> > if
> > it works and avoids the problem of having the gnome panel appear over
> > top, it's probably okay.
>
> well the gnome panel still appears, but only when the system-config-network window is opened.
> during the rest of the process, the panel is not visible.
> i can't figure out what's wrong with it, and how to make it go away,
> i tried to talk to guys in #pygtk, but still couldn't figure it out.

It's probably fine, then, as long as it doesn't look too stupid to you.

- Chris