Re: [PROPOSAL]: Support Alternate Network Device Naming Schemes

> > ---------- Network Configuration ------------------------
> >
> > Default [ ] |  SMBIOS Names [x]     |  Driver Names []  | MAC Names []

> >  eth0       | Addin_NIC_1           | ice0              |

> >  eth1       | Embedded_NIC_1        | bce0              |

> >  eth2       | Embedded_NIC_2        | bce1              |

> >  eth3       | Embedded_NIC_3        | bce2              |

> >  eth4       | Embedded_NIC_4        | bce3              |

> >                                                         ------------
> >                                                         | Next     |
> >                                                         ------------
> >
> > [ ice0 - Intel Controller 0, bce0 - Broadcom Controller 0 ]
> >
> > 1. In addition to the default ethN names the user can check against
> the available naming conventions and the wizard would show the names the
> interfaces will be renamed to.
> > 2. The moment the user hits the Next button all interfaces are renamed
> as per the Naming convention they have selected.
> > 3. Any further network communication would  be using the new names.
> > 4. Ifconfig would show names like "Embedded_NIC_1" and not eth0 etc.
>
> That's a horrible interface to show the user when a large portion of
> them do not care at all.

In that case, it could look like below so that users would get to see
the new names only when they choose a naming convention and if the user
retains the default scheme, he need not see the names associated with
other naming conventions-

---------- Network Configuration ------------------------

The current config settings for each interface are listed next to each
device name. Unconfigured interfaces are shown as UNCONFIGURED. To con
figure each interface, hilight it and choose edit. When you are finished
prese OK to continue
                eth0: Activate on boot, DHCP
                eth2: UNCONFIGURED
                eth3: UNCONFIGURED
                eth4: UNCONFIGURED

    --------         ------             --------
    | Edit |         | OK |             | Back |
    --------         ------             --------

We could move the "Edit, OK and Back" forward a little and instead,
provide the option of choosing a naming convention here as below -

   Choose a naming convention -

Default [] SMBIOS Names [x]  Driver names []  MAC Names []
                                   ----------         -------
                                   | Details |       | Next |
                                    --------          -------
The "details" would provide a description of how the names
are determined.

The next screen would look like

                Default   SMBIOS Names
                eth0:     Embedded_NIC_1  Activate on boot, DHCP
                eth2:     Embedded_NIC_2  UNCONFIGURED
                eth3:     Embedded_NIC_3  UNCONFIGURED
                eth4:     Embedded_NIC_4  UNCONFIGURED

    | Edit |         | OK |             | Back |

What are your views on this ?

With regards,
Narendra K