Re: rpm-python

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009, Jon Masters wrote:

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 11:46 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
Folks,

I know some of you have recently worked on this, for driver disks
(msivak in particular), so I figured I would ask.

I trying to programmatically do the equivalent of an rpm2cpio and
extracting a specific file using rpm-python. I have figured the basics
out (getting the header, etc.) but I wish to avoid what yum and others
are forced to do in working out the payload location. I haven't looked
at Anaconda's implementation yet, but I'm hoping you've found a better
way than implementing what rpm-python already should have done?

In the end, I looked at all the various rpm-python examples around,
including Dave Malcolm's rpmgrok and decided if a os.system call to
rpm2cpio is good enough for him then it's good enough for me ;)

I pity Martin's efforts to do rpm extraction without rpm2cpio now that
I've looked into it. I'll ping him later and see how that went.

Just FWIW, rpm-python is in the process of getting a serious facelift, one of the things on my TODO is to export rpm's own file IO system to python side. That wont give you direct access to the files in the payload but should help a bit with extracting the cpio data regardless of the compression used.

	- Panu -