Re: master branch, UI rewrite.

On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 10:17:02AM -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > > - The Edit VG dialog pops up behind the Make LV dialog.  Is this
> > >   intentional?  I think it's kind of weird.
> >
> > I would change this but after we push these changes.
> > Its not intentional, but its unavoidable for now.  Since I am using the
> > volume group edit class, which directly relates the logical volume edit
> > with the volume group edit, its pops the volume group screen in the
> > back.  Think of this as a stepping stone for changing the logical volume
> > edit class.  When that class is refactored, we can take the logical
> > volume editing logic out of it and put it somewhere else (where it can
> > be used individually)
>
> Do you think you'll have time to do these changes in the next week?  I
> think they're necessary but not immediately needed.

Not next week,  I'm working on other stuff that needs changing.  And,
I see this as too big to do in a couple of days (I leave on Tuesday).
But, I'm not dieing (hopefully), and I'm planning to some work and the
weekends.  I'm not sure how dependable I'll be, but this is my plan.
Could be 2 weekends a month (not clear to me yet).
The good thing is that, after 1 month of dealing with gtk, I feel pretty
comfortable with it.  So the changes will be easy and fast.

> > > - The "sda (/dev/sda)" label on the tree view should probably contain
> > >   more useful information in the parens, like model or size or
> > >   something.
> >
> > I'd would not change this.
> > Well, The size is already present in two places.  Its in the next
> > column and its in the graph view.  Additionally, think of bios raid,
> > where the given information is not so trivial.
>
> On RAID sure, it doesn't really make much sense.  But I think on disks,
> duplicating the name twice in the same line looks goofy.  Model would
> probably be the most useful piece of data to put there, especially given
> how device names aren't really used at all throughout the storage
> filtering UI.

How about the UUID :)? (joking....).  Two things that I don't like about
putting the model info there:
1. We already have the model info in the bar view.
2. The model info is long and it would push the other columns far away
from the first column.  making it look funny.

How about not putting anything there.  Just the name.  I'd go with that.
Going to test putting the model string and see how it looks.  I'll
probably make a little movie out of it.

> > > I don't consider any of these big enough to delay you merging these
> > > patches onto head, by the way.
> >
> > Yep, they are pretty small and, IMO, needed.
>
> I'm fine with you pushing this stuff to head when you're comfortable and
> then doing the other minor fixups later.  We need to get all these RHEL6
> new things in sooner rather than later so we can give them proper
> testing.

I am ok with this approach too.  So I'll go ahead and commit.

Regards.

--
Joel Andres Granados
Brno, Czech Republic, Red Hat.