RFC: howto handle writing dracut needed kernel cmdline params on upgrades?

Hi all,

So when we make the switch to using dracut generated initrd's by default,
we will need to have some additional kernel cmdline parameters present
for dracut.

These fall into 2 categories:
a) keyboard and language (and console font) settings
b) extra keywords needed for non automagically configured devices (such as iscsi)

I've been writing anaconda patches for both a) and b) the last week to get anaconda
to write the necessary options to grub.conf on a fresh install. But anaconda does
not touch grub.conf when we do an upgrade.

After some discussion and thinking this through I would like to suggest the
following to handle this on upgrades:

1) Add a --add-dracut-options option to new-kernel-pkg, which
   will add the options needed for a). And patch the kernel
   scriptlets to pass this in.

2) For the b) category release note it. I do not think many Fedora users are using
   iscsi. For RHEL-6 this is not an issue as those will all be fresh installs.

So does this sound like a plan? I will start implementing this tomorrow, so if
you want to scream about this, do it now please.

Regards,

Hans