RE: Questions about Fedora

Hi Nicholas,

I'm still very much working this out as I go along, so it's probably better to keep everything on the list.  That way the people who really know what they are talking about can tell us how it should be done.  Or tell us if there is a better place to ask these questions.

I see your original question (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/344128-build-anaconda-12-f11-kickstart.html) has not had a reply yet.

If two releases are similar enough, it _might_ be possible to get an anaconda from one release to install another release, but it depends entirely on the differences between the two releases.

I have just been trying to get the CentOS 5.3 anaconda to build an installer for CentOS 4.7.  However, those releases are quite different, so I don't think it's going to work.  First, I moved the RPM files from /CentOS/RPMS/ to /CentOS and replaced the CentOS 4 anaconda rpms with the CentOS 5 ones.  Unfortunately, buildinstall still falls over because anaconda-11.1.2.168-1.el5.centos.i386.rpm expects python 2.4 while CentOS 4 only uses python 2.3.  Now I could attempt to bring in the updated python, or I could try to patch anaconda to use the older version, but at this point I expect I would be better off going back to the version of anaconda that was designed for 4.7.

In your situation, Fedora 11 and Fedora Development both seem to be using python 2.6, and a similar structure to their Packages, images and isolinux directories, so the anacondas might be compatible.

Your other way of doing it is to take the F11 anaconda source rpm, add your own patches as necessary, and rebuild the binary rpm.  Then you install that one onto your build machine and copy it into your repository, replacing the original.  Now when you run buildinstall it puts the patched version into install.img on your install media.

If you are not building your own install media, the only way to change anaconda is with an updates.img file.  I have never used this, but http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Updates is the documentation I found.

I hope that helps you.

Moray.
"To err is human.  To purr, feline"