Re: We need to start thinking about writing kernel cmdline options to grub.conf for dracut

On 07/01/2009 12:23 AM, Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Tuesday, June 30 2009, Hans de Goede said:
When we switch to dracut we will need to specify certain kernel
commandline options to dracut. For example when / is on iscsi
dracut will need information for configuring the nic and
about the iscsi target present on the kernel cmdline.

How are we going to have password type information?  /proc/cmdline is
readable by anyone, so we don't necessarily want them there :)

You can either generate your own dracut initrd or inject config files in the generic dracut initrd with cpio. Though the parser to create config files from the current host state has not yet been written.

The easiest way to handle this would be to add a new
attribute to all devices which returns a list of kernel
cmdline options to add to bring up that device (which will be
empty in most cases).

Maybe instead of having it be empty in most cases, it should even be
responsible for root= ?  Then it'd get tested all the time :-)

Jeremy