Re: Stress Testing Anaconda Storage Code

On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 10:59 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:12:57 -0400,
>   "Clyde E. Kunkel" <clydekunkel7734@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 06/09/2009 03:28 PM, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> >> I have a unique testing setup that anaconda fails on.
> > <snip>
> >>
> >> An option for me is to kill the entire partitioning scheme with a rescue
> >> cd and then start over with Fedora 11.
> >>
> >> However, ...  maybe I should keep the current
> >> configuration and be a "stress test platform" for anaconda development,
> >> especially the storage rewrite. I am willing to do this if it would be
> >> useful to you folks in Anaconda Development.
> >>
> >> I would appreciate feedback on this idea.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your consideration, patience and listening.
> >>

> > Is there any interest?
>
> Maybe you should see if you case is covered by the draft test plan at:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/TestPlans/Fedora12Install
> If not, describe it and suggest adding it as a test case in the discussion
> page.

Thanks Bruno, I agree.

Clyde, you had a knack for finding some good anaconda bugs during the
Fedora 11 cycle.  I'd be interested in your thoughts as to whether your
use cases are covered in the Fedora 12 installation test plan (see link
above).

There are still outstanding bugs related to interacting with existing
disk layouts.  If you are able to consistently hit these bugs, perhaps a
few options ...

     1. Outline as best we can what the starting conditions/reproducers
        are for your setup.  I'd hope this information could be used to
        clean-up, reprioritize or create new test cases in the Fedora 12
        install test plan
     2. The anaconda team will be prioritizing existing bugs F11 storage
        bugs for upcoming F12 development efforts.  Another option would
        be to triage the bugs you are seeing as best we can so they can
        be evaluated for upcoming fixes.
     3. Snapshot - Can anyone think of a way to snapshot the disk layout
        that's causing trouble for Clyde?  Perhaps something that can be
        used for offline debugging?
     4. <other suggestions>?

Thanks,
James