Re: Partitionint UI stuff...

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:43:39PM +0300, Oron Peled wrote:
> On 17.06.2009 Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > The problem is this "help on mouse action" is going to be some
> > anaconda-specific construct and people don't use anaconda often enough
> > that a new UI concept is going to stick with them.
>
> It's really odd to me, why GUI for storage/partitioning
> is viewed as an anaconda specific problem. Adding a disk to

Its not.  Well... At leas I don't see it as an installer specific issue.

> a computer is very common task and the current GUI support
> is scattered and almost non-existent:
>  * system-config-lvm -- only handles LVM.
>  * gparted/qtparted -- no LVM support in the shipped parted.
>  * RAID?
>  * Encrypted partitions?
>
> So the problem is really having a GUI for storage management
> which can be used as part of anaconda during install:
>  * A set of python classes to abstract storage concepts
>    (maybe a lot of this work was already done in the latest anaconda
>    storage rewrite -- it should be re-factored out).
>  * A set of python GUI classes to wrap this logic.
>  * A system-config-storage to bundle it all together for day to
>    day use.
>  * Than anaconda would either run system-config-storage, or import
>    some of the classes.
>    (similar to system-config-authentication).

Yep, this is mostly my view as well.  And you are correct in assuming
that most of the work has already been done.  The storage rewriate has,
and will have, a lot of stuff that a system-config-storage package can
use.  It was started in anaconda is because it was needed the most there.

I would go a bit farther than your proposal and start a non-distribution
specific project.  This is a problem that does not only affect
fedora/rhel.  With that said.  Its something that I view as somthing to
do in the future.

Regards.

--
Joel Andres Granados