Re: Partitionint UI stuff...

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:18:12PM +0200, Radek Vykydal wrote:
> Joel Granados wrote:
>> Feel free to rant, scream, suggest, add (constructively) on each point.
>> Also add stuff that I have missed and give your point of view.
>>

> One thing that might be worth considering is cleanup of editing of existing
> partitions. I am inclined to approach that user can always refer to the
> original
> state, not only to state after last editing. It assumes that
> all actions one can want to do with existing partition can be set in
> one such edit dialog for the partition, and the flow (resize /
> format(encrypt) / migrate)
> is unambiguous.
>
> Example I can remember of is when user changes his mind and wants to
> migrate existing partition instead of formatting it (as he set in
> previous editing).

It would be awesome to have a back button for this :)  I get your point
but, IMO, it goes against the behavior that would be expected (I expect
it to be that way) from the format partition.  Which would be to show
what changes have been done up until that point.  I would be very
annoying form me to have to do the partitioning changes to a certain
partition every time I hit edit just because we have a corner case, like
the one you describe.  I would feel more comfortable just telling the
user to hit "Reset" in case he/she messes up.

> Then the migration option was related to partition in state after
> previous edit
> i.e. formatted to some fs, and original filesystem label showed this new fs.
> I put some patches to just hide the migration option (as well as
> original filesystem
> label) after selecting to format in previous edit, as after the editing
> we didn't have
> information about original fs in UI (the device format had been changed
> and the information
> about original format had been stored only somewhere in actions).
> So in this case, the only way to migrate the partition is after Reset.
>
> Maybe I am not remembering this example exactly, but I think there were
> some flaws in editing of existing partitons and it deserves some attention.
>
> And one related idea - what about indicating preexisting partition in
> the tree somehow?

This is something worth looking into.  I would go further and suggest we
have a mechanism to select what the user wants to see. and if an erro
ocurrs durring the retrieval of information we output something like
"Unknown" (like we currently have).

Regards.
--
Joel Andres Granados