Re: RFC: configuration file for storing persistent FCoE information

On 06/05/2009 05:25 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
Hans de Goede (hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
When using FCoE, and it is not used for /
(when it is used for / this becomes the initrd's problem),
then rc.sysinit needs to bring up the FCoE fabric, in
order to do this rc.sysinit needs to know:

1) That FCoE is being used
2) Which NIC is connected to the FCoE SAN.

So we will need a config file for this. I can imagine
using /etc/sysconfig/fcoe

With a single line in there like:
NIC=eth0

Stepping back a bit... why does it need to know the device
name - can't it be automatically determined via route?

Erm, no, FCoE does not use IP, it uses Fibre Channel protocols
encapsulated in ethernet packets, this is all handled
by the kernel, all rc.sysinit needs to do is tell the kernel:
"go talk FCoE on that NIC"

Regards,

Hans