anaconda-storage-branch patches

dcantrell's testing/debugging work on the new anaconda storage code
Last updated:  01-Mar-2009
<dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
http://dcantrel.fedorapeople.org/anaconda/storage/

With dlehman's latest code on anaconda-storage-branch, I generated a new
updates.img and install.img to pull in the latest storage code and related
components.  Below are my notes from working on everything today:

1) pyparted-2.0.4 is required for the cachedlist import problem as well as
   a dealloc problem on _ped.Partition.  Version 2.0.4 is built and in
   rawhide now.

2) clumens is still working on booty, but I took what patches he had and
   went from there so I could get something to work with on my end.  His
   patches are here:  http://clumens.fedorapeople.org/booty/

BOOTY:

I know that clumens is working on overhauling booty for the new storage
code, but I did make a few patches for my own use locally so I could get
past some tracebacks and concentrate on the anaconda code.  I've posted
my patches here:

    http://dcantrel.fedorapeople.org/anaconda/storage/booty/

I took his patches, applied them to my local master branch of booty and
then committed changes on top of that.  The patches on my site are a
combination of his and then whatever I've added.

ANACONDA:

1) Syntax and import fixes are amongst my patches.

2) I ran in to one problem with udev_device_get_lv_sizes().  The info
   dict LVM2_LV_SIZE member contained 3 entries of which 2 were shell
   variable syntax.  I added a local function and map() to trim the var
   name and equal sign.

3) Some of the patches from clumens' booty patch set were for anaconda,
   so I git am'ed them on my tree and included them in my patch set.

4) Using 'Create custom layout' for my system uncovered a lot of problems,
   mostly syntax errors and typos.  Fixes are in my patch set.

5) Added minSize and maxSize properties to the StorageDevice and
   PartitionDevice classes.  These take in to account limitations of the
   device as well as of the DeviceFormat.

6) Existing swap partitions show up as Unknown in the UI.  If I edit it and
   give it a mount point, nothing changes.  If I click Edit again, I get a
   traceback.  Looks like it's a problem with swap partition labeling.

7) Existing NTFS partitions raise an exception in partition_ui_helpers_gui.py
   when it tries to read label code.

8) Users should not be able to select 'Format as' and 'Migrate filesystem
   to' at the same time.

SUCCESSES:

With my patches, dlehman's code from anaconda-storage-branch, and clumens'
patches for booty, and the 2.0.4 pyparted, I was able to do the following:

- Do Create Custom Layout and assign all of my existing partitions, except
  swap partitions and NTFS partitions, a mount point.  I let installation
  continue and had no problems up until the boot loader installation.  My
  existing partition layout had /boot, /, /home (all ext3) and a vfat misc
  partition.  I also had swap and ntfs, but had anaconda ignore those for
  now.

- Migration options do appear when a filesystem type can be migrated to
  another type.  When I edit an existing partition with an ext3 filesystem,
  I see an option to migrate to ext4, for example.  There is a list for
  migration types, but the files in storage/formats/ are built around one
  filesystem that you can migrate to.  Perhaps the migration option in the
  UI should just be a check box and not a check box and combo box.

- Resize options are appearing when doing a custom layout.  Resize is
  selected by default and the filesystem minSize is in the entry box.  The
  upper bound does not yet seem to be restricted to maxSize (or the code is
  wrong).

STILL TO TEST:

- Finish migration testing/debugging (working on that tomorrow)
- Resize of ext? and ntfs (working on that tomorrow)
- Shrink current system (working on that tomorrow)
- Use entire drive install (anyone)
- Wipe Linux partitions install (anyone)
- Use free space install (anyone)
- Kickstart (hope someone else is looking at that too)

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat, Inc. / Honolulu, HI