Re: Improved linuxrc.s390 (third try)

On 02/24/2009 09:08 PM, David Cantrell wrote:
> Steffen Maier wrote:

>> [snip]
>>> But a kernel version doesn't tell you those things -- distros
>>> backport kernel changes all the time.  You have to instead check
>>> based on functionality being provided rather than assuming anything
>>> off of the kernel version.
>> Alas, there is nothing to check for this functionality. Knowing that
>> the functionality will be in the kernel, the user is now
>> unconditionally allowed to make use of it.
> If there is no way to test for functionality and it's entirely dependent
> on checking the kernel version, it becomes an ongoing thing to maintain
> in anaconda.  We try to avoid this when possible.

This won't be a problem since this feature won't go away in the future.

> There is really no way via /proc or /sys to check for this functionality?

No. I had talked to our network driver maintainers to confirm this and
also suggested to have such checking possibilities for future features.

>> [snip]
>>> Since this is going to rawhide, we should have a more fully-fledged
>>> udev environment.  So the cruft needs to go.
>> Those manual mknods, that are in linuxrc.s390, are exactly the ones
>> that are in the current init.c of rawhide.
> init.c hasn't changed in a while, so it may have some unnecessary code
> in it these days.

I'll remove the manual mknods as soon as we have a working test
environment and can validate that this won't break anything (or if
init.c gets updated because somebody else confirms removal is OK).

>> [snip]
>> [snip]
>>> Then add a new sysfs value.  You guys are the upstream of the kernel
>>> module
>> Since this is presentation information, opinions were that this is not
>> exactly something for the kernel but rather for user space.
> There's a difference between presentation code and a descriptive string.
>  All we need the kernel to provide is the descriptive string.  That
> shouldn't be maintained in a list outside of the kernel because then it
> becomes impossible to maintain.

I see your point.

> cd /lib/modules/VERSION/kernel/drivers/net
> modinfo *.ko | grep description

Some notes, just for completeness:

This will only present the driver modules and their descriptions
(filtered to show only those relevant to installer):

# (cd /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/s390/net/ && modinfo *.ko |
fgrep -e filename: -e description:)
filename:       ctc.ko
filename:       lcs.ko
filename:       netiucv.ko
filename:       qeth.ko

(Oops, just figured that lcs misses a description. Going to report this
to maintainer.)

However, qeth alone supports a bunch of different adapter types. Those
14 items are what cardtype2cleartext translates. I.e. static driver
descriptions don't help here. We need a new sysfs attribute per device
just as the existing cardtype attribute but with a user friendly string.

> That way other userspace things beyond just anaconda can make use of
> those strings (for example, maybe system-config-network).

Agreed. I'll try to convince our maintainers that a new sysfs attribute
is a good thing.

Steffen

Linux on System z Development

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Erich Baier
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen