Re: working on text mode

> > - If the graphical installer doesn't work, the fix is not to have a
> >   completely different path to go down.  The fix is to fix graphical
> >   installs.  Having said this, we still do have work arounds possible.
> >   You can always add xdriver=vesa as a boot parameter if the normal driver
> >   for your card doesn't work under X.  My latest patch to the list makes
> >   it more obvious that you can do this.
>
> I have had times when both the vesa and ati drivers were both broken for
> my hardware. (I think this is currently the case in rawhide, though I need
> to retest vesa again to make sure.)

Then both drivers need to be fixed.  We really shouldn't be steering
people down this path of "oh we're sorry the real installer didn't work
- would you like to try this totally separate thing instead?"

> > - I have removed many of the more complicated parts of the UI, turning
> >   text mode into the truly minimal install experience that a lot of
> >   people have asked for.  You get a package set that's small but still
> >   able to install updates and new packages.  You get the initial
> >   partitioning screen (choose your disks and handwaving layout) but not
> >   the second screen.
>
> Is this going to support encrypted partitions, LVM and software raid?
> If it did than getting to where I can run yum update using a VT is going
> to be good enough. If not, it doesn't help when my graphics card / LCD
> display combo isn't working.

No, that's the whole point.  Text mode as it exists today is likely to
never support these features.  The greatly simplified text mode
installer is going to give you the default partitioning layout on the
disks of your choosing.  Right now that's going to give you unencrypted
LVM.  In the future if we decide to make encrypted partitions the
default, then it'll support encryption.  But it'll only support it in
that it's the default, and the defaults get applied.  You don't really
have a choice in the matter.

- Chris