Re: PATCH: allow installing grub on the MBR if /boot is on mdraid.

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 18:58 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> You are right studying the code further this does indeed happen. And installing
> to the first sector of the raid set partitions should be fine, assuming that
> the disk has a dos like mbr which just bootstraps to the bootsector of the
> active partition, but what if the disk does not have a valid mbr?

This has come up from time to time.  One answer is that if we don't
detect something that looks like an MBR and we're doing this (or any
install /boot partition type installs), we should overwrite with a
"real" MBR.  The problem is that this could trample over some other boot
loaders which has been something we haven't been willing to do in the
past.  Maybe we should pop up a warning and default to doing so, but
give a way out if the user knows that they have a valid reason.  Even
though I hate those sorts of things :/

Jeremy