Re: Adding reviewing to our development process

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 10:40 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> So I've been thinking that we really need to change our processes to include a
> review phase for all patches except the most trivial ones (the ones fixing all
> the typos).
>
> This blog post was the trigger for me to stop just thinking about this and
> actually write a mail about it:
> http://anholt.livejournal.com/39921.html
>
> I would like to invite you all to read this post, esp. those who are going to
> say no against my proposal to start doing more reviews as part of anaconda
> development.

It's something I've thought about from time to time as well.  We've
gotten better with sending larger patches to the list for review (though
there's still room for some improvement) which was really sort of a
first step.

The biggest "problem" with doing so is that often changes need to be
done "now" so that a snapshot or a beta, etc can be built.  And with the
geographical dispersion of people, that will frequently lead to
bottlenecks and the unfortunate side effect of blocking a release
candidate.

But that said, the goal would be that by having such pre-commit reviews,
we could hopefully reduce the number of times that we're blocking a
release tree.  So I definitely think it's worth trying.  The question
comes down to when do we start doing it:
1) Now
2) At the beginning of the F11 development cycle

Given the risk for slowing down a release that really has no room to be
slipped, I lean a little bit towards the latter.  But opinions to the
contrary  could easily sway me otherwise.  Especially if Jesse was
on-board.

The other thing that we could do is redirect the commits to be sent
here; but that just gets post-commit review which (in theory) we already
have at least some of.  And at that point, it's too late if there's been
a build...

Jeremy