Re: Can the install method be contained within a kickstart file that is referenced via a %include option

Hi Niels,

How are you going with your Stage0 solution?

After giving it some consideration, I have to say that I am probably looking for a simpler solution if one exists :-) I am not a developer and therefore do not have all the necessary skills to write my own loader, etc, which is what I think you are proposing, right?

While I am comfortable at a high level with the concepts associated with the the loader environment in stage1, and can kind of muddle my way through the C that makes up the loader, at this stage I cannot personally justify the cost in time associated with getting my head around the loader and its environment to a point where I could reproduce it.

That being said, I hope I have properly understood what you are proposing and am not barking up the wrong tree :-)

I wonder if it is necessary to replace the stage1 image entirely. I am inclined to hack things together when I cannot find an elegant or supported solution to a problem.

For instance, would it be possible to put a wrapper of sorts around the loader binary that performed the required tasks before passing control to the loader? Of course, this would depend upon a number of things including what state the stage1 environment was in when the loader was executed by init.

Can you please outline how you propose to construct this Stage0 solution in a little more detail? Are you indeed proposing to make custom mods to init and/or loader, or are you thinking of something else?

Regards,

Matt