Re: Reipl support

On 08/28/2008 04:06 AM, John Summerfield wrote:
> Steffen Maier wrote:
>
>> We should reboot, if (and only if) the reipl configuration went fine.
>> Then the customer would see improved usability, since the system reboots
>> automatically from the correct device.
>
> At present, one can specify whether to automatically reboot (on any
> platform) or sit there looking stupid. It shouldn't be hard to add an
> option to halt instead at that point.

Linuxrc.s390 (or probably init respectively on the other platforms)
already handles the choice between reboot and halt. There's a do_reboot
and a do_shutdown function, which are called as trap on receiving
SIGUSR2 or SIGUSR1 respectively.

During installation, the user logs in through ssh, which starts the
loader and in turn anaconda. The configuration of reipl and hence the
detection if it was successful happens in anaconda. Loader waits for its
child anaconda to exit. On anaconda's exit, loader decides how to
proceed. On s390, loader has been sending a SIGUSR1 to linuxrc.s390 to
initiate a halt unconditionally so far. This is exactly the place where
Mark's posted patch introduces the functionality of doing a dependent
reboot or halt:

Anaconda writes the number 1 or 2 as ASCII text into the file
/var/run/sigusr depending on the success of reipl configuration. Loader
reads this file and sends the appropriate signal to linuxrc.s390.

So this is our proposed and tested mechanism for doing a dependent
reboot or halt. Of course, we are open to suggestions on how to best
model this "backwards interprocess communication" between anaconda and
loader or linuxrc.s390 respectively.

> Maybe on S390, the choice would be
> between reboot and halt? Or should there be three choices for all?

Exactly, it's just between the two choices of reboot and halt.

Steffen

Linux on System z Development

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Erich Baier
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen