Re: RFE: Support kickstart files in rescue mode

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 10:31 +0300, Alexander Todorov wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> | Either a new directive or just doing the sane default (r/w) if we're in
> | kickstart mode.  Arguably, we should have a 'rescue' directive that acts
> | like upgrade and others and kicks us into rescue mode so that you can
> | have everything for rescue mode specified in the ks.cfg.  Then you'd
> | have
> |   rescue
> |   rescue --nomount
> |   rescue --romount
> |
> |> What partition contains the root fs?
> |
> | The easy answer is that we just do the first.  And then if we think that
> | caring about multiple roots[1] is important, then we should do it in a
> | way that generalizes and also helps the upgrade case
> |

> What I lean towards is the following:
> 1) Add a 'rescue' directive in kickstart for the sake of completeness (see
> above), but without any options.

I really like my suggested way better -- it makes things a little bit
more in line with other things we do in kickstart and also makes it so
that the default (of booting with 'linux rescue' or having 'rescue' in
your ks.cfg) matches the same thing you'd get just hitting enter in an
interactive rescue mode.

And then, if we really care about multiple roots (and I still don't
think I do that much), something like 'rootpart sda3' so that you only
have to specify the actual partition/LV/whatnot rather than anything
more complicated

Jeremy