Re: Re: Reipl support (David Cantrell)

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 12:10 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:

> There's got to be a better way to do this. I mean, it's stage 2 "ipc"
> to loader so loader knows whether to send SIGUSR1 or SIGUSR2 to init
> so it can do a shutdown or reboot. All of this is automatic, but
> sloppy.
>
> Mark, can we just always reboot in linuxrc.s390 and skip the logic to
> figure out if we should reboot or shutdown? This does bring s390
> closer to behavior we see on other platforms. Reboot after
> installation. If reipl sets things up correctly, it should reboot in
> to the installed system. If, for whatever reason, it failed, we get a
> failure on boot, but the system is still shut down.

The reason why s390 does a shutdown is to stop it from looping. The 390
reader is loaded with an install image of Redhat. And the reipl information
points to that reader image. So, when a reboot is performed, it has the
effect of booting into the installer again. Which is not what we want.

What you do not see is a failure on reboot. It reboots. The system
administrator sees a linux system booting up. It is just not the correct
system.

So, what issues are we against? The error checking on writing out reipl
information? The additional "ipc" to the loader to shutdown on an error?

Mark

Common Information Model/Web-Based Enterprise Management at http://www.openpegasus.org/
Take a look at the Linux Omni Printer Driver Framework at http://omniprint.sourceforge.net/