Re: yum-pluginize our upgrade magic

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 14:25 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 13:57 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > As you may be aware, anaconda has some special upgrade magic in the form
> > of the whiteout list and the upgrade blacklist.  The whiteout list helps
> > us to know where to split dependency loops, and the blacklist helps us
> > to know which packages should be removed on upgrade.  This is mostly due
> > to packages changing from multilib to not.
> >
> > Attached is my two yum plugins (the first two I've ever actually
> > written, so there's bound to be something I missed) and examples of the
> > two metadata files.  Of course we may want to alter the format of the
> > metadata.  These files will need to be maintained by hand in some
> > version control, similar to comps.  We'll also need to make sure they
> > get written out to repomd.xml.
> >
> > I have performed minimal testing.  I'd like to try them out with
> > preupgrade, but haven't been able to get to that yet.  Anyway, comments?
>
> Will the blacklist ever need to take evr's as well as name-archs? If
> not, then jeremy's suggestion of preresolve is probably not
> unreasonable. However, if it will need to take evr's then putting them
> in the exclude_hook makes more sense.

Should just be name-arch pairs.  It's "this package of this arch went
away because multilib is fun".  Of course, with the snazzy new
architecture requires stuff in rpm, we might eventually be able to move
these to be carried as obsoletes in the packages but I'd have to spend
more than 2 seconds thinking about it to say that for sure ;-)

Jeremy