Re: Getting rid of our remaining rhpl dependencies

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 11:48 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Jun 3, 2008, at 11:03 AM, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > So rhpl has over time turned into something of a dumping ground and
> > we're really not using it for much any more.  This probably means it's
> > getting close to its time to go away (much like was done with
> > pythonlib
> > before).
> >
> > Left in anaconda[1] are really just a couple of uses of rhpl
> > * rhpl.getArch() -- We mvoed this out of iutil, we could easily move
> > it
> > back
>
> I've never liked rhpl.getArch() and would really like to see it go
> away completely.  Uses of it in anaconda sort of hide what values you
> are really testing for.  When you rhpl.getArch() hands you 's390',
> that really means s390 and s390x.  And so on.  I would prefer to
> explicitly test os.uname().

That gets a little ugly, just due to the multitude of uname returns for
i386.  But it's definitely doable.

> For issues that revolve around multilib
> packages, could we put pressure on yum or rpm to provide a function we
> can call to tell us what we should use?

There really isn't anything to speak of like this left.  If it's
specifically yummy/rpm-y, we can use the yum versions of the methods.
But we shouldn't import yum stuff outside of the yum-backend-specific
bits

> > * rhpl.simpleConfig -- I think this might be replaceable with
> > python-iniparse but I haven't looked to make sure
>
> ConfigParser?  Course, I don't know what rhpl.simpleConfig is used for
> anyway.

Might also work.  It's just for the simple stupid key=value sysconfig
files

Jeremy