Re: Checking for ram to early...

Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 16:43 +0200, Joel Andres Granados wrote:
Anaconda exits if the system has less than 64 Mb of ram. This is logical because if the system has less, its just not possible to install. But I think we are not giving the power user the opportunity to circumvent this situation. see (368311). What I suggest is to make the check after the running of the post script. If the user was intelligent enough to add some temporary swap, anaconda should install successfully.

Is this actually sufficient to help or do they still end up OOM'ing or
going into a swap live lock?

How can checking _after_ the install help?

A check after _%pre_ might help, but I really doubt it. Anaconda updating from FC3 to FC5 ran twelve hours or so on my laptop with 256 Mbytes (It was long ago, and I don't remember whether it was graphical or text).

You really don't want to be doing much swapping, especially on a partition at the rim of the drive you're installing on.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait