updates=auto in loader

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 21:26 -0500, Jerry Vonau wrote:
> Chris Lumens wrote:
> > Will Woods also likes the idea of making available a well-known URL that
> > anaconda could automatically check (like
> > http://www.fedoraupdates.org/<arch>/<release>/updates.img, for
> > instance).  I don't think I would do this automatically either, but
> > maybe use the 'updates' or add 'updates=auto' to trigger that behavior.
> >
> Yes, for sure, updates=auto, setup the fetch from a URL. That leads to
> the question, where should this image live? I'm in favor of having
> updates.img live in the updates repo. Then that same trigger could be
> used to enable the update.repo later in the install.

Except the updates repos are only for stable releases, so if we use that
we need a *different* location for rawhide updates.img. And then we need
a way for anaconda to know if it's the final, stable release or if it's
rawhide.

Probably easier to just have a single host, like:
http://fedoraupdates.org/
And have a defined search path for the updates.img, like:
/by-release/$release/$arch/updates.img
/by-release/$release/updates.img

But... The problem with using $release is that we fudge the release
numbers a lot. Right now, rawhide thinks it's release 9. When the Unity
guys do a respin of F9, *that* will also think it's release 9, even
though they've presumably included fixes for the things we needed the
updates.img for in the first place.

Furthermore, that doesn't help if Rawhide needs an updates.img for a
couple of days while we get something fixed.

So maybe the better thing would be to have a CGI script that took a
couple arguments, like:

http://fedoraupdates.org/anaconda-auto?ts=$timestamp&arch=$arch

And the CGI can do a lookup to figure out if that tree needs an updates.img.

Of course, that means we need a simple map/database to do the lookup
in.. and probably a nice web frontend to add new images and modify the
database.. but this is probably one of those things that's implementable
in 30 lines with TurboGears or something.

-w