Re: loader/stage2 interaction

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 05:20 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > > - We shouldn't leave the repo mounted at the end of loader.
> > >
> > >   Problem:  RHupdates/ will no longer work.
> >
> > How frequently do folks use RHupdates these days?  If recent memory
> > serves, I've been using nothing but updates.img's for all http, ftp, and
> > nfs installs.
>
> I'll be honest, it's typically the easiest thing for me to do so I use
> it quite often.  On the other hand, making an updates.img and tossing it
> on a website is really simple too.
>
> I think we could make RHupdates work in a world where nothing is mounted
> at the end of loader, but only if we are all convinced we should keep
> this feature.  It wouldn't take much to convince me.  I think updates=
> is a really flexible option that's not tied to a single installation
> method, and I like that.

Yeah, good points.  At the risk turning into a "my favorite method
is ..." discussion, the updates.img's lend themselves well as a
"package" for collecting a set of one or more fixes and distributing
them to consumers.  Additionally, write access to the installation
source isn't always available (mirrors, netapps etc...).

If you're looking to reduce code paths, you have one vote for dropping
RHupdates and relying solely on updates= and
os.path.isfile("images/updates.img").

Thanks,
James