Re: loader/stage2 interaction

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 10:32 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> - There shouldn't be any differences between booting off the network and
>   booting off media.
> - loader should be moving to just doing what is required to fetch and
>   mount the stage2 image.  This can perhaps include inferring an
>   installation repo based on the location of the stage2 image, but the

I wouldn't so much say that the loader would infer the installation repo
location.  But that information on where stage2 came from is available
to stage2 and then we can do munging in stage2 to suggest a repo based
on that.  Or upon a mirrorlist or the like.

>   Problem:  If the user booted off a CD and we don't have any method
>   configuration screen, the implied updates.img and product.img checks
>   will never work.

The implied updates.img should map to the stage2 location more than the
repo I think.  product.img needs some more thought, though

> - We shouldn't be checking if the inferred repo is valid in any way,
>   perhaps except that we can at least mount it (if the method requires
>   that).  This requires making the repo editor in stage2 more useful.
>   It also separates the loader from the payload it's installing more.
>   In particular, any remaining .discinfo checks ought to die.
> - We shouldn't leave the repo mounted at the end of loader.

Sounds reasonable.

>   Problem:  RHupdates/ will no longer work.

We could just copy the contents of RHupdates to /tmp/updates just like
we do with an updates.img

>   Problem:  This means both loader and stage2 will have to have some
>   code for mounting installation sources.  This probably isn't such a
>   big problem because stage2 will already require it for error
>   handling.

Arguably, we could just not mount the install source at all from the
loader and just have it always done in stage2

> - Part of the last one... we should copy the stage2 image out of its
>   initial location.  My reasoning for this is still that it makes
>   error handling easier when the repo has trouble.  This requires
>   making the repo editor more useful too.
>
>   Problem:  This increases the memory requirements, which no one likes.

If we have things disconnected, there's no reason we can't have the same
thing mounted more than once.  So we could have the source for stage2
mounted at /mnt/stage2 (as you've already started down the path of) and
then we should be able to failover with repo problems.

Jeremy