From: anaconda-devel-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:anaconda-devel-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John
Summerfield
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 5:09 PM
To: Discussion of Development and Customization of the Red Hat Linux
Installer
Subject: Re: [ PATCH ] RFC: Search and load drivers automatically
fromusb-storage media

Sandeep_K_Shandilya@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello John

comments inline.

regards,
sandeep.
-----Original Message-----
From: anaconda-devel-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:anaconda-devel-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Summerfield
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:24 AM
To: Discussion of Development and Customization of the Red Hat Linux Installer Subject: Re: [ PATCH ] RFC: Search and load drivers automatically fromusb-storage media

Sandeep_K_Shandilya@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello John

That is what this patch is attempting to do, solve the problem of hunting for drivers on the net. This patch is changing anaconda so that it automagically looks for drivers in USB storage embedded inside the box loads and installs it. Maybe not for the old hardware that you
already are using but for the upcoming servers.
So you have binary-only drivers?
<sandeep>
dkms rpms carry source and binaries. The binarie kernel modules could be used at install time to recognise new hardware. Once install completes then you could install the dkms rpms.

I have dkms installed on one of my servers, it was pulled in when I
installed madwifi, along with a heap of other stuff including gcc. I am
not enthused  at having gcc installed on a server.

<sandeep>
Dell does not support or package the madwifi driver. we dont promote
this hardware on linux.

I don't think your interpretation of what I said is reasonable.

Here is a layout of the file system, This should make it a lot clear now.

oemdrv/
oemdrv/megaraid_sas_dd.img
oemdrv/mptlinux_dd.img
oemdrv/abc/
oemdrv/abc/megaraid_sas_dkms.noarch.rpm
oemdrv/def/
oemdrv/def/dkms-2.0.17-1.noarch.rpm
oemdrv/hij/
oemdrv/hij/mptlinux-dkms.noarch.rpm

the *dd.img will be used at install time( this has to contain binary kernel modules ). The rpms contain the binaries and the source. The binaries are compiled against the Dell supported RHEL distro. if you have a new rhel distro the source will be installed by dkms in /usr/src/.. you could compile the driver for your distro and use it. infact dkms is also available in the universe section on ubuntu. dkms is supported on many other linux distro's.

It is not clear to me that you have answered my question. When I use the
term "binary-only drivers," I mean drivers for which Dell does not
willingly provide source.

<sandeep> dkms is a packaging tool and anybody could use it as a vehicle
to publish open-source or non-opensource drivers. I am NOT saying that a
*dkms.rpm == opensource driver. I think you mistook me on that.

I didn't mistake you, I couldn't figure what you meant or whether you were addressing the question.

Is there any part of the Dell drivers for which a customer cannot get
the source under an OSI-approved licence, preferably GPL2 or later?
< sandeep >
For Server hardware, drivers are opensource (all drivers ship with
source)

In that case, what prevents their inclusion in the kernel? Achieve that, and there's no need for dkms, every time RH or CentOS or Debian builds a new kernel, the matching driver is built to and there's no need to go fishing them out of some obscure corner of the imbedded USB storage. And providing source to clients becomes a problem for RH, CentOS, Debian etc, and it's a problem they address very well indeed and their clients understand how it's done.

a few client hardware drivers are non-opensource( Eg 3d acclerated
drivers and wireless drivers )

Ah yes, the things I needed for my GX-270.

I might want to run RHEL, I might prefer CentOS or even Fedora, all of
with Anaconda supports, or I might even prefer a distro which Anaconda
does not support such as Debian, and I may not care whether it's
_certified_ on my platform provided that there's a reasonable
probability that it will work and that my hardware vendor won't be too
harsh if there's a problem.

<sandeep>
This patch and RFC is specifically for anaconda.

I appreciate that, but the problem applies equally to _all_ distros people might want to use.

Whether someone chooses to use RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, SLES, Debian, Slackware or something else, if the drivers are open source and part of the kernel, they can see it's certified for RHEL with the standard drivers, insta;; whatever on it, and if it breaks, the RH, CentOS, FedoraProject, Novell, Debian or Patrick has a fair chance of fixing it.

And the FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD and other BSD folk can all port the drivers to their systems too.

_I_ do in fact run all the distros I've just mentioned, and more.

If Dell wants to be difficult about the source code to its drivers, and
any of other vendors such as Sun, HP and IBM does provide source and
help should I have problems with non-certified hardware, the Dell is
batting on a very sticky wicket.

<sandeep>
As I already mentioned, with respect to Server hardware (Poweredge
brand) you should have nothing to worry.

I am glad to hear that, but it leaves me puzzled as to why the drivers might be stored in a USB storage device, and why DKMS is needed to load them.

Firmware for (eg) wireless on client hardware maybe, it's a whole different debate.

My very favourite rescue disk is Knoppix. Sometimes I have the latest on hand, sometimes not. I am less concerned about security updates than I am about my regular distro, so provided the CD to hand boots I'm happy to use it. I use it for Linux and Windows systems alike - i can't do a lot to _repair_ a broken Windows system, but it can help with cloning it, with resizing its filesystems etc.

Debian is very picky about what it allows into its distro, and Knoppix

is based off Debian. Klaus Knopper, who created Knoppix, might not see

value in including DKMS, he has to make some sacrifices to get it all down to a single CD.

If it doesn't work with your hardware, then I can't use my favourite rescue CD.

If I'm running a standard RHEL or CentOS or Fedora or Debian or *SUSE system and I have a problem, I have a well-defined path to follow to report it and in the fullness of time to get a fix.

As I understand it, if I'm running one of your binary-only drivers, I don't have any support. The kernel's tainted and, I've been told, the fact of the driver's being loaded means it could have done bad things.

I recall an incident, many years ago, when RH was bitten by this very issue, in respect of CDE that RH used to distribute with RHL. RH couldn't fix CDE and its supplier wouldn't or wouldn't do it in the timeframe RH required.

I'm not sure that DELL would provide full support for RHEL, or even the kernel, on one of its servers.

And if you think I'm difficult, go to debian.org and read some of the discussions about non-free bits in the kernel!

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait