Re: [ PATCH ] RFC: Search and load drivers automatically fromusb-storage media

Sandeep_K_Shandilya@xxxxxxxx (Sandeep_K_Shandilya@xxxxxxxx) said:
> Imagine trying to search 500 SAN partitions for driver updates.
> <sandeep> We only search usb-storage devices.

Well, you only search things marked 'removable'. *Assuming* SANs, etc.
don't set that flag you'll be OK, although I'm not certain they are
all sane in this regard.

> Right, but what good does embedded usb-storage with drivers do you for
> the next OS release a few months later?
> <sandeep>
> 1. The same is with hardware and firmware which keep upgrading every few months.
> 2. OEMs like Dell have baselined to, say, version RHEL 5.0 Every time the hardware/firmware changes
>    which calls for a new driver then we will qualify the new driver and release it on our support
>    page. It will be a very exhaustive effort to qualify all new drivers for every update that Redhat releases.

Then get the drivers *IN THOSE UPDATES*. Heck, thats why those updates are
done.

Bill