Re: netboot-iso-to-disk.sh

> On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 08:40 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > Ugh.  The amount of copy and paste here is going to lead to a nitemare
> > of keeping things in sync I suspect... which probably means that
> > something else needs to be done :-/
> >
> > And copying stage2 over and then not setting things up to take advantage
> > of it is just wasting space on the usb stick
>
> Ooops, I mistakenly assumed that if stage2 was there it would
> opportunistically be used like on a CD.  Mea culpa.  However this was
> posted as a starting off point for discussion and the like.

Nope, it's going to require an explicit stage2=.  We're not going to go
off searching every disk on the system to look for a stage2

> I was
> thinking on the bus today that it wouldn't take much effort to extend
> the livecd-iso-to-disk script to be a more generic image-iso-to-disk and
> figure things out as it goes.  It could also be made to let you create
> both a Live USB stick as well as a usb stick suitable for starting
> installs.  However before getting to that point, I wanted something
> usable for folks to have bootable USB sticks for installs again.

It's incredibly easy to get something that will take a kernel and initrd
and even do some basic munging of isolinux.cfg -> syslinux.cfg.  But
doing anything more generic requires real knowledge of what happens once
that kernel and initrd boots.  The live images use root= bits to look
for something (and expects a certain layout), anaconda expects something
else

Jeremy