Re: handling the setting of the TERM variable.

Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 12:08 +0100, Joel Andres Granados wrote:
Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 20:57 +0100, Joel Andres Granados wrote:
Here is a patch that handles the setting of the TERM variable with a
term=value argument in the cmdline.  As always comments are
appreciated.
What's the use case of letting people specify more than we already do?
The question here is what can we gain from specifying a vt that is
greater than vt100 (we can already specify with utf8 argument).  The
answer is: for real terminals there are some gains, like maximum
possible character speed.  Not sure if this applies directly to
emulated terminals.  Not really sure how this plays with xen consoles
either.  Going to search some more before pushing or discarding.

Given that the number of real terminals out there is pretty minimal, I
think that we're probably better off just keeping things simpler

After doing my little investigation I have to agree with you :).  I'll close the bug and reference this conversation.

Jeremy

Joel Andres Granados
Red Hat / Brno, Czech Republic