Re: Fedora 9 alpha anaconda failure with lang=ro boot

On Feb 7, 2008 4:30 PM, Chris Lumens <clumens@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I've started on several computers Fedora 9 alpha with lang=ro added to
> > both text and graphic mode and find that anaconda fails to start, is
> > this something that is a known problem, or should I file a bug ?
>
> It's hard to tell if it's known or not without a good description of
> what's going wrong.  Are there any messages printed out when it fails to
> start?
>
> - Chris

Sorry for being so short.
The DVD boots and I installed it correctly without lang=ro parameter.
With the lang=ro parameter it reaches the point where it writes on the screen:
running install...
running /sbin/loader

It remains here forever.
I've tried with "lang=es", it works.
I'm sure anyone can reproduce the bug by just booting the alpha with
lang=ro, I've tried it on 3 different computers with more than 512MB
ram and 2G+ processors.
This must be a language problem, I just don't know how to debug
anaconda, I've downloaded the sources from the repository, searched
for Romanian, found that "lang-table" looks fine on the Romanian line,
so I suspect some problems with the ro.po file. I ran msgfmt -cv on it
and no errors, but maybe there's something else.

There have been some changes lately for romanian, like a console font
update and a keymap update. So what it could be is the missing of one
of those in anaconda's filesystem, I can't check that.
Anyway, after starting the installation without lang=ro, I CAN select
Romanian in the graphical installer and I see the installer nicely in
romanian. Also the installation produces a correct romanian keymap and
console font.

--
Alexandru Szasz