how does anaconda naming disks

Hi guys,
I have some problem with RedHat linux installer.

when booting from "install CD".
The installer detects hardware before actually starting installation.
the installer asks user which disk you want to install OS.
At this point, the two disks are "sda&sdb".
After this, installer partitions the disk, formats and copies files to
the disk.
Then, after all files are copied (installed), the two disks becomes "sdb &sdc".
There is a usb-storage device connected to the box,however there is no
action of plugging in or removing device from the box during the
installation progress.

This problem never come up when installing other version of RedHat linux.
In other version of EL and RHEL create /etc/modprobe.conf like this,
@ alias scsi_hostadapter mptbase
@ alias scsi_hostadapter1 mptsas
@ alias scsi_hostadapter2 usb-storage
usb-storage.ko before
ata_piix.ko
But EL4 U5 creates,
@ alias scsi_hostadapter usb-storage
@ alias scsi_hostadapter1 mptbase
@ alias scsi_hostadapter2 mptsas
Because of this, "sda" is reserved for usb-storage and "mpt" devices shift.
I'm not sure which command generates /etc/modprobe.conf file, and what
determines the order of module inserting.

it seems that manually change the init script in the initrd.img can
solve the problem(change the order of module inserting to make sure
usb-storage.ko is always before ata_piix.ko)

I'm curious about how does this weird behavior occur and is there any
way we can avoid this behavior in installation.the system can't boot
after installation since the sda becomes sdb