Re: Proof of concept, early work in progress code for partition/filesystem resizing

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:47:46 -0500
Jeremy Katz <katzj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been looking some at what we need to have to implement resizing of
> partitions and filesystems within anaconda.  At this point, the code is
> starting to work, although there are still some large-ish holes.  Also,
> there are some functionality pieces that are entirely missing.  So to
> start with the caveats:
> 1) The UI is just enough to make it possible to test the code and not
> the UI that we're going to actually want to use.

A question I just thought of is whether or not we want to support resizing via kickstart installs.  My guess is no because resizing is something that really needs to be more interactive than not, but maybe I'm wrong.

I think we should come up with a policy on this earlier rather than later.

> 3) Only implemented for partitions.  Not RAID.  Not LVM.  I'm not sure
> if we can do RAID.  LVM LVs are pretty easy.  LVM PVs look like they
> have a lot more caveats based on looking at the pvresize man page

I think LVM resize is doable, but we should not even bother with RAID.  Resizing RAID is sort of an oxymoron anyway.  RAIDs can be created and destroyed, but not resizing.  And it also depends on RAID type.  A linear array we could append disks to, which would be growing the RAID, I guess.  But resizing RAID 5....ugh, no.

My vote is to just not even offer RAID resize capability.  It's out of scope for a RAID.  However, we should offer the ability to resize the filesystem on top of the RAID and allow the user to create a new filesystem in the freed space.

Just some comments for now.  Haven't looked much at the code.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat / Westford, MA