Re: More thoughts as we go to git

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 13:44:36 -0400
seth vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 11:41 -0400, David Cantrell wrote:
> > On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 08:16:55 +0900
> > John Summerfield <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > If I were to pull it from git, I'd be fairly put out to find I didn't
> > > have the build instructions as embodied in the spec file. I see the spec
> > > file as the primary "scripts used to control compilation and
> > > installation of the executable."
> >
> > It only runs 'make' and 'make install', so the Makefile(s) are actually the scripts used to control compilation and installation of the executable.
> >
> > What is useful from the spec file is the BuildRequires, but we could fix that by having a ./configure script that checks the environment we are about to build on.
>
> Keeping autoconf updated is easier/better than a spec file? I don't
> think so.

I didn't say autoconf.  I said a configure script.  But I was just throwing the idea out there.

The problem we have right now is that in order to get a system set up to build anaconda, you have to either rely on the source RPM or read the spec file and pick and choose packages to install on your system and then you can run make.  Personally, I don't like this because it's relying on RPM to be as integral to the build structure for anaconda as the Makefile.

If we were to offer some sort of configure script, either using autoconf/automake or not, it helps us detach anaconda from the RPM build system a bit more and make it more of a standalone project.

Again, just an idea.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat / Westford, MA