Re: More thoughts as we go to git

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 09:05:03 -0400
Jeremy Katz <katzj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 08:20 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> > Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > > * Don't carry the RPM spec file in the repository; have it just in the
> > > packaging repo instead.
> >
> > Why?
>
> Bit duplication and having to sync changes across between where the
> packages are built (which requires the spec file) and the upstream repo
> is a bit annoying at times

I would vote for not having the spec file in the git repository for anaconda.  It's only relevant to the packaging and that lives in the package CVS for Fedora or RHEL.

Having to keep both spec files in sync is annoying and we have messed that up at various points so the actual spec file that goes out in the SRPM doesn't match what is in the upstream repo.

On the other hand, the spec file for anaconda does contain a lot of BuildRequires and other such things that are probably useful to those packaging it for other distributions.  Maybe we could provide a spec file template in the git repo and not necessarily the whole changelog and specifics?  Just to catch buildrequires and those kinds of things.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat / Westford, MA