Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] RFC- improving livecd installer efficiency

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
Hey,
	Okay, I follow you now. Doing:

  - Create snapshot of os.img
  - Resize it down to the smallest possible size
  - Copy it to disk
  - Resize it back up to the size of the disk

	has the dual advantages of being able to install to the small possible
disk size and not copying unallocated blocks.

	Sounds like a reasonable plan ... go ahead and give it a shot.

turboLiveInst has been posted, polished, reposted with real world IMPRESSIVE performance results, and has now been collecting dust for a couple weeks. I don't suppose you'd be kind enough to give it a review for me Mark? Especially since you seem to understand the basic gist of the devicemapper snapshot resize2fs technique.

I'd really like to get it into rawhide/f8t2 ASAP so that if there is some fundamental problem with the approach that we discover and deal with it (or trash it*) sooner rather than later.

* obviously I'm kidding. There is no problem. Its solid, elegant, and the right answer, and nobody has suggested any reason to the contrary.

Regards,

-dmc

Cheers,
Mark.