Re: RFE- kickstart and package selection support for livecd installs

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 13:50 -0500, Douglas McClendon wrote:
> After having fully grokked the livecd-creator code, it occurs to me that it may
> not be such a completely crazy idea to bring full package selection and even
> kickstart support to the livecd installer.
>
> The main constraint of course is having access to the 'core' or full repo,
> either via network or existing disk filesystem.

As it stands now, you can pretty much already say "install from here
rather than doing the live image" and things work.  The liveinst script
just kind of hides that from you.  Once I get repo selection within
anaconda itself a little cleaned up (on my todo list for the next week
or so), it becomes a lot more feasible to export that for others to
use.

Kickstart should pretty much already be able to work"

> The key aspect of feasibility I see, is how similar the task would be to the
> existing livecd-creator base-on-iso code path.  I.e. that code path already
> takes as input, a livecd type installation, and then effectively applies a
> kickstart configuration to it.

I don't know that the base-on bits are really that interesting...  more
that you either want to
 a) make changes after the system is installed
 b) if you made changes to the live image, have them preserved on the
install

Jeremy