Re: help building anaconda

You want to work on a feature in the python portion of anaconda?  Then
that's stage 2, not stage 1 (also called the loader).  Basically, all
the C stuff in loader2/ is stage1 and all the python stuff in the base
source directory is stage2.  You don't need to compile anything.  I've
never used the py-compile script before for anaconda development.

Now if you want to build the package, you will need to have all the
BuildRequires components installed first.  But if you're just testing
python changes, there's no compiling required.  We also have a stage2
development guide at a very similar URL to the one you've already read.

I figured out that my problem was that some of the python code uses a new try/except/finally construct that is exclusive to python 2.5+.    So upgrading python fixed that.

As far as stage 1/2, I guess I was confused.  My plan is to build in support for http proxy for ftp/http/s network installation.  I was focusing on the python side of things assuming it was stage 1.  In reality I think there will need to be http proxy support on both stage 1(C) and stage 2(python) since stage 1 must download stage2.img.  Does this sound correct?  The good thing is that proxy support on the python side is very easy.  Probably C will not be so forgiving.