Re: nfs/livecd install hack

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 12:46 -0500, Jerry Vonau wrote:
>> 	I've been playing around with both anaconda and the live-cd, and I had
>> an idea to kind of merge the two. I took advantage up the RHupdates
>> override on a nfs install, to have anaconda use a squashfs.img that is
>> on the nfs server in /LiveOS/,(this could use a bit of work...) creating
>> the same device name as the the live-cd install is looking for. Once
>> that is done, anaconda uses a patched livecd.py to install to the
>> harddrive. This is more of a proof of concept them prime code..   ;)
>> First I altered fedora.py in installclass, flags.py, bootloader.py,
>> livecd.py, and added a new one called livefs.py, adding them in
>> /RHupdates/ to incorporate my changes with out really having to play
>> with the loader.
>
> I wouldn't expect that you would have to go this far... you should
> really be able to just mount your NFS dir, loopback mount the
> squashfs.img and losetup the os.img block device and then you just need
> to run anaconda with the right args as liveinst does.

I tried that, by placing an anaconda file in RHupdates with with the
same string that liveinst uses:
/usr/sbin/anaconda --method=livecd://dev/live-osimg
That worked but after the coping image part there was a warning (from
bootloader.py) that there was no kernel packages were installed, and the
bootloader will not be changed. Then I was off to add the flag and edit
bootloader.py. That fixed the warning, but no joy, no grub.conf

>Especially all of
> the bits for initrd and grub.conf creation feels like it's doing things
> which are already done for you
>
> Jeremy

Yea, I know. I didn't really think I needed to change livecd.py before I
started. I just couldn't put my finger on why there was that warning.
I'll try again with the latest CVS and see what that brings.

Jerry