Re: Interesting anaconda/yum performance issue

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 15:11 -0600, Jeffrey Law wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 15:56 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 13:40 -0600, Jeffrey Law wrote:
> > > Using cProfile, it appears that we're calling buildPkgRefDict for each
> > > explicitly listed package -- at a cost of nearly a half-second per call
> > > (3GigHz P4).  Clearly this gets to be rather expensive when the package
> > > list is long -- a typical install is over 600 packages.  We're burning
> > > an absurd amount of time here.
> > >
> > > Using @group syntax does not suffer from this problem.  So clearly
> > > there's a path through anaconda which does not need to call
> > > buildPkgRefDict so often.
> >
> > The difference is that the comps file isn't allowed to do anything more
> > than list an exact package name.  Listing packages in %packages is
> > allowed to be globs, specify version, specify, arch, etc.
> Understood -- and I certainly need to fully specify versioning
> information and the like (though I don't use globbing).

I suspected as much :-)

> > Although I'm not quite sure why we're not using the matchPackageNames()
> > bits in yum's install() method... it should provide the same sort of
> > results but also be able to do some of the querying using sql queries
> > against the sqlite db (and thus probably be faster)
> Good question (took me a few minutes to find a user of matchPackageNames
> but eventually I found it).  Yes, it looks like they provide the same
> sort of information.  Something like this?
[snip]

Yep, pretty much that exactly.

> I'm not sure what to do with the casematch argument or if the other
> calls to parsePackages ought to be changed too.  And I'm certainly
> not well-versed in python, anaconda or yum to know if there are other
> issues I'm not dealing with.

Not specifying casematch is definitely the right thing to do.  It could
well make sense to change other calls to parsePackages.  I'll go ahead
and get this into upstream yum after we do the yum 3.2.1 release.

Thanks for doing the experimenting for me!

Jeremy