Re: Not so small list of issues on F7 t3

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 01:21 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> I just installed F7 t3 and I wrote down all the issues and some
> comments regarding anaconda.

Thanks for the feedback.

> == On the LiveCD ==
>
> * Can't close livecdinst without rebooting
>
> It asks if it's OK even if it's experimental, I choose to exit, then I
> get: Reboot, Cancel. I don't want to reboot, so I Cancel, and I get
> back to the original screen.
>
> Clicking the X in the window manager thing doesn't work either.

Clicking the X should work post-test3.  Could you file something about
changing the text so that we don't ask for a reboot to instead something
like close?  Note that it really won't reboot; just anaconda will exit
and in the normal install path, that means a reboot.

> == In general ==
>
> * Sometimes the GRUB dialog appear, sometimes not

Which dialog in particular here?

> * The netinstall with ftp doesn't work, with http is fine

I know you already filed this and it's on the list of things to look at.

> == From USB key (diskboot.img) ==
>
> * Anaconda asks twice to ignore the USB key device (/dev/sdb)

We should probably only ask once, but there's some crufty code paths
here that I don't think are likely to get resolution in the F7
timeframe.  And for F8, we're hoping to significantly overhaul
partitioning to try to address some of the things like this.

> * It appears anyway as the main device to install to

This is because your BIOS says that it's the boot device (which it
was...).  We're in a bit of a rock and a hard place here, which is why
we've tried to expose a little better the ability to select where you
really want to be booting from ...

> * If I uncheck it from the list, it's still the main device

This is expected; the two aren't really tied together.  I guess they
could be, but it's not that unreasonable to want to install to, eg, your
USB hard drive but still have the bootable part be the internal hard
drive.

> * Even if I uncheck it, and select another device as main, the GRUB
> dialog still marks it as the device to install to, and the dropdown
> box is disabled

Which grub dialog is this?  But this definitely sounds like a real bug.
Could you file it in bugzilla so it doesn't get lost?

> * If I go back, GRUB is installed on /dev/sdb anyway, and now the
> screen with the devices has nothing on the dropdown for the main
> device, and clicking next crashes anaconda:
>
>  (snipped)
>  /iw/autopart_type.py, line 73, in getNext
>  /gui.py, line 1034, in nextClicked
>  TypeError: iter must be a GtkTreeIter

you also file this one.

> That's about it. Also it should be great to be able to just run the
> GRUB part, because GRUB is now installed on my USB key instead of my
> internal hd =/

There's an open bug regarding wanting to make some common tasks like
this more accessible to rescue mode.  A quick query isn't finding it
right now... but basically, I'd like to see things move to where we have
some simple stubs so that instead of just rescue mode dropping you to a
shell, you can have a set of options.  One of them is obviously
"reinstall boot loader".  It shouldn't be that hard to code up and would
be a pretty easy way for getting started working on anaconda.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/RescueMode has a few more details

Thanks for all the comments!

Jeremy