Re: The campaign to do away with useless bugs!!!!!!

Joel Andres Granados wrote:
Hello list:
I have gone through some bugs and I have encountered that there are some issues that really must be addressed. I have basically seen that there are bugs that are already fixed and need to have their state changed. I have compiled a list to demonstrate my point. This is FAR from the total list of bugs that need to be revised for anaconda. I think that there are much more, the only thing that is needed is to squash them all (The ones that are squashable :). I haven't actually tested or changed them, just wanted to see what the list thought first before doing anything. So here is the list that I want to share with you.
Any comment is greatly appreciated.
(the *Issue* is the bug number, *description* is a part of what is shown in the bug description, *comments* are some personal comments and the *Proposed Action* is self explanatory

The campaign to do away with useless bugs!!!!!!
Issue:115714
should not try to read the package-list from /dev/cdrom but default to
the initial/previous installation source. the tool warns about missing installation source in
/dev/cdrom and cancels.

Comments: I have a fc6 running on my box, ran system-config-packages and
did not get the error message. (I did an nfs install).

Proposed Action: rawhide it, or currentrelease it to fc6.

Issue:147052
installation. Then everything is in Catalan, but when it starts the
VNC server, all console text is in Spanish (es) (note: locale is ca_ES).

Comments: The person who filed the bug seems satisfied with the solution given.

Proposed Action: currentreleas it to fc6.

Issue:230268
raid / --fstype=ext3 --level=RAID10 --device=md2 raid.2 raid.3 raid.5 raid.6
but anaconda complains "RAID device requested without raid level"

Comments:On the bug its states that it is better to leave it as assigned and close it when the issue is confirmed to be solved. IMO I think it should be currentreleased to avoid forgetting to close it. If the bug is not fixed and
the person is still interested it can always be reopened.

Proposed Action: keep an eye on it, if not issue is seen with in the fc7 release
                currentrelese it.
Issue:221305
Description:It would be extremely useful if you could specify "@default" in the %packages section of a kickstart file to get the default package set that anaconda would install if you clicked through the package selection screen without modifying
anything.

Comments: Seems to be solved, some testing wouldn't hurt.

Proposed Action: rawhide it
Issue:213350
Description:The installer's UI is fixed at 800x600. On a Dell 30" monitor, X will not think that small of a resolution is even supported. Attempting to start X at 800x600 will fail, and then we'll start at the native resolution; this will place the UI
in the top-left corner.

Comments: bugs been open for more than 4 months. I think its safe to say its fixed.

Proposed Action: rawhide it.
Issue:212508
Description:hen clicking the final "next" before packages are physically installed on the system (fresh install, w/ FC extras extra repo added)a dialog pops up reminding the user that several "cds" are required even though the DVD install was used
(thus only one CD is needed which is IN the drive)

Comments: Its not that big of a bug, seems to be recently fixed.

Proposed Action: A little test and rawhide it.
Issue:208077
vmlinuz and initrd.img to /boot and booted with arguments
"vnc vncpassword=**** lang=de_DE keymap=de resolution=800x600 ip=xxx netmask=xxx
gateway=xxx dns=xxx method=xxx"
The installation started as expected but while reading the package information, I got an error that anaconda is missing a package. I pushed the button to retry
and the bug report showed up.

Comments:Its apperantly fixed, its 6 months old and I don't think the user will comply with the testing requirements. ACTUALLY ALMOST ALL THE BEFOREMENTIONED BUGS NEED TESTING TO GIVE THEM THE GOAHEAD. (NO QE FOR FEDORA?) THE FIX WOULD
BE TESTED BEFORE THE STATE CHANGED

Proposed Action: a little test and rawhide it
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ There is a list of 21 fedora bugs that are MODIFIED and IMO, most of them, need change of state. The only ones that I would leave in MODIFIED are the ones that are very recent and might still be an issue. But still I would keep an
eye on them so they don't get forgotten.
231494,157754,191229,203345,204387,207594,209310,212018,231934,232936,158089,191424
208077,212508,213350,217328,221305,230268,230472,147052,115714
(Some of the I have already listed).

Issue:146820

Comments: isn't genhdlist gone? in any case it was fixed in 2005-03-14

Proposed Action: I would cantfix it because its something that is not included
                in anaconda anymore.
Issue:144416
Description:Clicking "Next" (or hitting ALT+N) too quickly (even as slowly as once per second) will cause Anaconda to crash upon starting the actual installation

Comments: This is an issue from 2005-02-24, RHEL-3U4 and we are currently in RHEL-3U9

Proposed Action: currentrelease it to RHEL3U8
Issue:124506
to allow user to select between "minimum", "LSB compliant", or "all"
package group for installation.

Comments: I'm pretty sure that the group selection in the installer is present.
         This issue is from 2004-06-15 18:09 EST

Proposed Action: currentrelease it to RHEL3U8
Issue:166842

Comments: Its an issue from 2006-03-02 15:58 EST, it is said that it is fixed.

Proposed Action: I would currentrelease it to RHEL4U4
Issue:159193
physical volume (LVM) --level=RAID1 raid.17 raid.18" line that was
created should have had the fstype quoted since it contains embedded
spaces.

Comments:Its fixed and its an issue from 2005-06-07 15:31 EST Proposed Action: currentrelease it. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Issue: 158370
anaconda only excludes the primary arch package

Comments: an issue from 2005-06-24 15:17 EST, It was not included in RHEL3U6 but the fix was still present in HEAD (so its must be present in RHEL5)

Proposed Action: currentrelease it.
Issue:149987
the next is the Debug - request.

Comments: This one strange because it has a comment that was posted more than
         a year after it was said to be fixed.  The last comment does not
specify if the person did the test after of before RHEL4U1. Its an
         issue from 2006-08-18 17:26 EST.

Proposed Action: I would needinfo it. or better yet, a littl test and currentrelease it. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Issue:147587
cciss drives, that did not have previous paritions

Comments: Its a bug from 2005-02-15 12:13 EST.  A fix is mentioned and
         assured for RHEL4U1

Proposed Action: currentrelease it.
Issue:198803
should be entered and what happens if a value is given, e.g.
does the driver work with this values?

Comments: It is fixed for RHEL5

Proposed Action: a test and currentrelease it to RHEL5
Issue:210476
software development selection, and did not customize package selection.

Comments: issue from 2006-10-12 10:13 EST and it is fixed.

Proposed Action: quick test and current release it
Issue:71184

Comments:This bug was first filed 2002-08-09 13:42 EST WOW.... 4 years latter
        it is revisited with new ways of optimizing the installation.
I would even say its not a bug. Its not an issue that breaks anaconda, its just that, according to the person who filed the bug, anaconda is resourse happy sometimes. The last change was 2006-10-29 20:38 EST
        (a long time ago also).  its for fedora.

Proposed Action: I would notabug it.

Here are some more bugs:

Issue:213302

Comments: Installed fc6 via nfs using isos and tree installation and I could not reproduce the bug. Additionally the person seems satified.
         Close it!!!

Proposed Action: notabug it.
Issue:203049
Description:When installing on a PPC Mac to a drive that has an MSDOS Drive label, the installer neglects to change this when formatting the drive. This causes an unbootable install.

Comments: a patch seems to exist

Proposed Action:currentrelease it
Issue:186541
After some time it showed the message:...After 9 hours the progress bar was at 75%.
At that moment i stopped the upgrade.

Comments: If you look at the comments of this bug its a situation that was solved
         by removing unwanted rpm packages.  The situation seems to have been
         related to the fact that the user had updated from RH 5.0.

Proposed Action: notabug it.
Issue:186202
while the dvd iso image includes all of them.

Comments:I did a diff of the two /Fedora/RPMS directory and there is no difference
        with respect to packages between the dvd and cd isos.  I did it with the
        fc6 distro.

Proposed Action:currentrelease it.
Issue:175526
partition isn't located early enough on the disk, and OpenFirmware won't be able
to boot this installation.

Comments:This bug was left unattended.  maybe ask the use if it is still an issue and
        close it if its not or there is no response.

Proposed Action: wait and currentrelease it.