Anaconda, Grub, RAID 1, /boot

Folks,

I've run into something odd, and a way to repair the damage, but was
hoping someone could shed some light on what's actually happening.

We've stabilized on RHEL 4.4 for the time being.  I have had several
reports of folks installing a RAID 1 system with /boot mirrored and
complained that Grub hangs or otherwise wont boot the system.  I've done
this a lot and it always works for me.

Until I installed a new Dell 1950.  Grub tries to load stage 1.5 and
runs off into random data land.

I used a Grub CD and

root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

if I was lucky, I would get different random data.  However, when I used
my grub CD and the configfile option to bring up the system proper I can
run a grub shell from the system and do this:

device (hd0) /dev/sda
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

I reboot the system and it works like a champ.

Try to install Grub again using the first method with the grub CD and we
are back to random data land.

What's happening here?  Is this #217176?

Jack
--
Jack Neely <jjneely@xxxxxxxx>
Campus Linux Services Project Lead