Re: kickstart and local USB device

Phil Meyer wrote:

Phil
When you want to start a new thread, don't click "reply." This question will be part of the "need help... thread, and will be hard for me to find in my threaded display, and possibly harder to find in the mailing-list archives thread index.

It is soooo close!

fdisk an appropriately sized thumb drive:
make partition 4 first as 13MB and bootable
make partition 1 as remainder and mkfs as vfat

Copy the iso(s) to partition 1 of the thumb drive.
I used pungi to build mine, but as long as the kernel in diskboot.img supports usb-storage this method should work.

dd diskboot.img to partition 4 of the thumb drive (makes it look like a bootable zip drive)

copy my custom kickstart to partition 1
example:
cp hammond.ks /media/disk

unmount /media/disk

I do this by simply right clicking the icon on my desktop and selecting unmount.

boot from the thumb drive on test system

boot: linux text ks=hd:sda:/hammond.ks

<ALT>F3
INFO: getFileFromBlockDevice(sda1, /hammond.ks)
ERROR: failed to mount /dev/sda1: No such device or address

However,:

<ALT>F4
<6> sda: sda1 sda4
<5>sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
<7>usb-storage: device scan complete

Is this a timing issue?  Any work-around?

It could be timing. The ks= looks a little odd to me, but I'm not checking sources. ks=hd:sda1/hammond.ks looks more obvious to me. However, I have in the past put the ks file into the initial ramdisk, so that's what I would do.

You need to unpack the initial ramdisk using gzip and cpio, add the ks file, repack the initial ramdisk using find, cpio and gzip. I think I've described the process in more detail recently on this list.

If I get the kickstart from an http server all is well with the kickstart file containing:

harddrive --partition=sda1 --dir=/