Re: Design Questions

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 06:28:15PM -0700, Edward F. Brown wrote:

But I digress, this is _really_ off topic for this list,

List settings don't seem off-topic for a list at all.  I agree with John

Yes they are off-topic, for the love of an entire pantheon. It's a
metadiscussion that should be taken care of out-of-band.

If mailing lists can be regarded as virtual meetings, and I for one see significant similarities, then a discussion about the conduct of a list can be regarded as a virtual procedural motion, and in a meeting, not only are procedural motions permitted at (almost) any time, they take precedence over substantive motions.

It is appropriate that a list be conducted in accord with the members' wishes, and the only way the members can have an open, recorded, discussion about the list's conduct is to do so on the list. How else can all those affected and who wish to do so participate?

For sure, Matthew, had David and I discussed the question privately, we could have made a private agreement you didn't like, and as you didn't know the question had been raised, you might have been somewhat miffed.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait