Re: Non-deterministic ordering of raid partition creation...

On 12/13/06, Jeremy Katz <katzj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 09:44 -0500, James Olin Oden wrote:
> I might be able to live with this, but again I ask is this desirable
> behavior?  I can see after thinking through this a bit how in the case
> where you were installling over an existing system and partitions were
> not being cleared that there would have to be a bit more flexibility
> as to the ordering of partitions, but I would have assumed that when
> the partitions were cleared, you would end up with same order as was
> specified in the kickstart file (implicitly via the order of the part
> declerations in the kickstart file)?  Is this not a reasonable
> assumption?

The ordering is deterministic, but it doesn't necessarily match the
order that they're specified in.  Due to wanting to be able to support
partitions with --grow, the general way things work is that we allocate
the biggest partitions first and then go down in size from there.[1]

Jeremy

[1] There's an exception that makes sure we allocate boot partitions
first taking into account that different arches have different
constraints.
OK that makes sense...in my case I can live with that, but wouldn't it
also make sense to have the ability to allow the user to specify the
order of the partitions (similar to --onpart, but the partition does
not have to exist)?

Which ananconda file would I need to change to develop a patch to
provide for this (I already figure I would have to start in
kickstart.py but I still have not located the sort algorithm (though I
think I might have looked at it and did know what I was looking at))?

Thanks...james